ATOD Policy Revision
GFPC works tirelessly to implement important policy change related to Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs (ATOD), in our region. Staff, board members and youth volunteers have worked to pass important ordinances that aim to create an alcohol, tobacco and drug-free environment for youth through changing social norms. Several of the ordinances that have passed successfully are listed below.
· Granby Tobacco Ordinance (Granby)
Non-cigarette tobacco retail license (N-CTRL)
You need a license to sell beer in Colorado. Why not electronic cigarettes?
Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs available without a prescription. It's reportedly more addictive and difficult to quit than heroin, yet retailers of nicotine products pay $0 to sell and have next to no accountability for making it available to minors.
In Moffat, Routt, and Grand Counties, Steamboat Springs is the only city that requires retailers to be licensed. License fee funds enforcement of current law prohibiting sale to minors. Granby has a town ordinance that places penalties for retailers caught selling non-cigarette nicotine to minors. Yet overall these devices remain unchecked in Northwest Colorado.
- Tobacco is still the leading cause of preventable death. It kills more than alcohol use, illegal drug use, motor vehicle accidents, murders, suicide, and AIDS COMBINED. (Mokdad AH, Marks JS, Stroup DF, Gerberding JL. Actual Causes of Death in US CDC 2009)
- Smokeless tobacco use appears to be an important predictor of smoking initiation among young adult males.(National Center for Biotechnology Information Study 2001)
- Strong retailer licensing policies have shown to significantly decrease illegal sales to minors. (American Lung Association, Center for Tobacco Control Policy and Organizing. "Tobacco Retailer Licensing is Effective." September 2013.)
- 80-90% of adult tobacco users started before they were 18. (Surgeon General’s Report: Preventing Tobacco Use Among Young People 1994)
What is N-CTRL? An ordinance that would require tobacco retailers to obtain a license to sell non-cigarette tobacco (and nicotine) products including an annual fee that will fund LOCAL enforcement of non-cigarette tobacco (and nicotine) sales to minors.
For more information contact Executive Director Allison Griebel: @ Allison@grandfutures.org